Leadership Council for Human Rights

~ Feet in the mud, head in the sky ~

Friday, August 03, 2007

Egyptian Christian surgeon held in Saudi Arabia after passport confiscated by police

An Egyptian Christian working as a surgeon in Saudi Arabia has been prevented from returning to Egypt for two years, according to ASSIST News Service.

Dr. Mamdooh Fahmy said that a group of his Muslim colleagues targeted him as soon as he began working at Albyaan Menfhoh Medical Center in Riyadh in 2004. After he told them he was a Christian and would not change his religion, they accused him of being a missionary.

In a letter to the Washington, D.C.-based International Christian Concern, Fahmy wrote:
“On April 12, 2005, I had a surprise visit from three Saudi officials at work. Two were in civilian attire and one was a police officer. They informed me that they were from the morals policing organization [Muttawa]. They proceeded to insult me publicly before the staff and patients of the medical center. They confiscated my wallet, cell phone and keys. They handcuffed me, shacked [sic] my legs and dragged me to a waiting car, then proceeded to my residence.

“While the police officer and I remained in the vehicle, the two civilians raided my house, confiscating all written and published materials (books, notes, etc). I was then taken to the police station on where I was formally accused of being a Christian missionary and of consuming alcoholic beverages at work. I was placed in solitary confinement for five days. After my confinement they began the interrogation process. Each time I was questioned, I was cursed and insulted. The interrogator referred to me as 'Infidel.'"

Immediately after his release from interrogation, Dr. Fahmy attempted to obtain his passport back from his employment sponsor, but the sponsor told him his passport is now in police custody.

For the full article, click here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home